There are 3 private-sector standards writing bodies- ASTM, ASME, & SAE – which administer comprehensive programs to develop and publish engineering standards relating to inch series mechanical fasteners.
ASTM Fastener Specifications
ASTM, the American Society for Testing and Materials, was founded in 1898 and is a scientific and technical organization formed for the “development of standards on characteristics and performance of materials, products, systems, and services; and the promotion of related knowledge”. ASTM is the largest source in the world of voluntary consensus standards and Fastener Specifications.
- ASTM A193 Alloy Steel and stainless steel bolting materials for high-temperature service.
- ASTM A307 Carbon steel externally threaded standard fasteners
- ASTM A320 Alloy steel and stainless steel fasteners for low-temperature service
- ASTM A325 High strength structural steel bolts for connecting structural steel joints
- ASTM A354 Quenched and tempered alloy steel bolts, studs, and other externally threaded fasteners
- ASTM A449 Quenched and tempered steel bolts and studs
- ASTM A490 Heat treated steel structural bolts – 150 ksi tensile strength
- ASTM F541 Alloy steel eye bolts
- ASTM F593 Stainless steel bolts, hex cap screws, and stainless studs
- ASTM F1554 Anchor Bolts – structural support for concrete foundations
- ASTM F3125 Structural bolt specification to replace A325, A325M, A490, A490M, and F2280 specifications
Hex Nut Specifications
- ASTM A194 Carbon and alloy steel nuts for bolts for high-pressure and high temperature service
- ASTM A563 Carbon and alloy steel nuts
- ASTM A594 Stainless steel nuts
- ASTM F 467 Nonferrous Nuts for general use
Plating and Coating Specifications
- ASTM A153 Hot Dip Galvanizing for iron and steel hardware-fasteners
- ASTM B695 Mechanically deposited zinc coatings on iron and steel hardware
- ASTM F1941 Electrodeposited coatings on threaded fasteners (zinc plating)
- ASTM F2329 Zinc coating & Hot dip galvanizing for metal hardware and fasteners
Flat Washer Specifications
- ASTM F436 Hardened steel flat washers
- ASTM F844 Unhardened flat washers (for general use)
- ASTM F2437 Compressible washer / DTI – Direct Tension Indicators (diameters 1/4″ – 2-1/2″)
- ASTM F959 Compressible washer / DTI – Direct Tension Indicators (diameters 1/2″ – 1-1/2″)
SAE Fastener Specifications
The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is a professional engineering society which promotes the arts, sciences, standards, and engineering practices connected with the design, construction and utilization of self-propelled mechanisms, prime movers, their components, and related equipment.
SAE J429 Mechanical and material requirements for externally threaded fasteners (ex. Grade 5 and Grade 8 hex cap screws)
SAE J995 Mechanical and material requirements for steel nuts